Earlier this week, I saw this funny BuzzFeed comic making the rounds again on the interwebs– and by interwebs, I mean Facebook.
The post was met with comments like: “This is so me every morning!”, “Omg. 90% if my clothes are black”, “The struggle is real”
… because, well…no matter how many times we hear (insert trend here) is the new black, the cold hard truth is black will always be the new black.
It’s versatile, it flatters, and when it comes to adding items to our wardrobe, it always gives us the most bang for our buck. What’s not to love?
Choosing color over black is something that at times, I must admit– I personally have to be very conscious about. I’d never advise anyone to break up with black– that’s crazy talk! Black will always be our wardrobe soulmate– but lets be real, no one ever gushes “You look so good in black!” … “Black is your color, girlfriend!” – so trust me, flirting with other flattering colors can breathe new life into your everyday style– and yes, there are in fact a few other colors that look good on everyone– no matter size or skin tone.
Here’s How To Have Fun With Bold Colors, Prints And Patterns
Bold & Beautiful
I’m talking red-red. Not wine, not copper– I’m talking Julia Roberts-“Pretty Woman”- RED.
I know. I know. It feels risky. It feels bold. Trust that risky and bold can sometimes feel good, give it a whirl. Red is a head turner because it makes everyone look supafly. *high fives*
This is my personal favorite that in my experience, 98.9% of the time is sure to get lots of compliments (the other 1.1% accounting for those who are color blind, obv.) This bold shade of blue is not only bold, it’s bright…. But if I could rock Cobalt, 8 months pregnant on the runway at Lincoln Center, know that you can rock it any day of the week!
Muted & Maaaa-volus!
This color is soft and romantic. It compliments all skin tones and though it can be matched up grays, browns and beiges, it is also the perfect pairing to tall that black hanging in your closet. The other beautiful thing about muted rose is– it is seasonless!
Sing it with me: “Winter, spring, summer or fall…. all you have to do is call…. “
Unlike a grassy-green, or turquoise, teal is the perfect mix of green and blue. Unlike the colors mentioned above, it is darker– more subtle– and yet still… not black!
If black had a cheeky sister, it would be eggplant. Black-aholics can rejoice in eggplant’s dark, slimming hues and still feel like a bit of a “rebel” in purple.