My son, at 6 years old is a total foodie. And not just in the way his Mom is a foodie (the consuming kind), he actually enjoys cooking!
He is enrolled in a cooking class right now and not that he ever really leaves me any to taste, from the scraps and crumbs I’ve had the honor of nibbling on, he is learning to cook some delish meals.
Although cooking with him at the moment completely stresses me out, I am trying- with every ounce of my being to embrace this passion of his- because I know with the proper training in a few years I could very well
be running my very own dinner-sweat shop have the very next Top Chef on my hands.
So this week we cooked the Ham & Cheese lasagna he cooked a few weeks ago in class.
Try it. You will die and go to cheese heaven- I promise.
HAM & CHEESE LASAGNA RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 4 carrots, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms or other small brown mushrooms (8 oz.)
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 oz.)
- 12 lasagna noodles (7 to 8 oz.)
2. For sauce, in a 12-inch skillet sauté onion, celery, carrots, and garlic, in hot oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add mushrooms and ham. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in cream, undrained tomatoes, water, and wine. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
4. Boil lasagna noodles.
5. In a bowl combine cheeses.
6. Spoon 1-1/2 cups of the sauce in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of the cheese mixture. Top with 4 lasagna noodles, overlapping as needed. Repeat twice. Spoon on remaining sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture.
7. Bake about 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand, 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.