Roots and grays are a real problem, my friends. We never see them coming and they always seem to creep up faster than we can get to our next appointment.
In these moments a gal’ has got to have a few creative tricks up her sleeve!
Well, you have come to the right place because I confess to you here today that I found my first gray at 28 and have tried everything from drug store touch up kits to Sharpie markers (you read that right). While Sharpies are not one of my top recommendations, if you have very dark hair and are super desperate– I’m just saying don’t count it out.
That being said, below are 5 tried and true products and hacks I’ve found that work a whole lot better than coloring in your roots like poster board on display at a middle school science fair.
5 Fast & Easy Hacks To Covering Roots & Greys
- Change your part– Straight edge parts are not our friends when we are nearing our next hair appointment. These straight parts will make hair growth look harsh and very distinct– no bueno! Instead, add some dry shampoo and or sea salt spray for texture and go for a more tousled look.
- Pick up a touch up kit– This may be easier for some than it is for others– this is not recommended for us highlighted gals. However, if your mostly one color touch up kits are super easy to apply and can hold you over a few days or more!
- Root concealer– Root concealers come in a variety of forms and price points, but like any beauty product, they are not all created equal. Root Mascaras may work better on “normal to dry”, while a spray or powder may work better for someone with an oily scalp. Below are a few that I recommend checking out.
- Eyeshadow color that matches your root– In the event that you do not have a root concealer on hand and need to quickly hide those roots, something that I’ve found works is eyeshadow! I layer it on, eye shadow, light hair spray, eyeshadow and it saves me every time!
- Thick headbands– Thick headbands are a gal’s BFF . Find one with the perfect thickness for your head and rock it til your hair appointment.
- Slick pony– Slick ponys are super trendy right now. If celebs can rock them on the red carpet with gowns, you my friend, can rock them without apology when your roots are becoming unruly. To dress up that slick pony you can opt for a fancy hair tie or wrap your hair tie in a small piece of your hair and secure it under the pony with a bobby pin.