Flared denim has been quietly making a comeback for quite a few years now, and I’ve been there on the sidelines cheering on this throwback trend the entire time- with bells on (literally)!!!
In the 90’s we wouldn’t dream about wearing anything but our flares and wide-cut denim, but if you’re wondering how to wear flared jeans and bell bottoms in 2019, as a Mom or woman in their late 30’s/40’s, I am your girl– because you guys, I’m a 90s chick with a hippie soul. I’ve been preparing for this comeback for years!
3 years ago, I snagged the most perfect pair of dramatically wide sailor-button bell bottom jeans at Express for $20 (!!!) They were on clearance because at the time everyone was still obsessing over their skinny jeans, but as soon as saw them and tried them on I knew I had to have them.
You know how certain shoes or outfits just make you feel like you’re on top of the world? That is the feeling I get when I wear these flared/bell bottom jeans.
They are the most comfortable jeans I own, flatter my mama-curves but sadly have not gotten enough love (I’ve only worn them a handful of times)–– until now that is… because bells and flares are back, baby!
If you’re still not sure about this whole flare’d up look and are clutching your distressed skinnies, let’s discuss 5 reasons why you need to at least TRY to embrace the trend (that I promise you’ll love).
5 Reasons To Embrace Jeans With Flare
- Let’s Be Honest, Skinny Jeans Are BORING! Don’t get me wrong I’m not giving mine up, but after a while, every day… it can start to feel like you’re wearing the same thing over and over. Giving those legs a little room feels incredibly refreshing.
- Dramatic Flares Make A Statement. Our clothes narrate our story, ladies. When you put on a pair of flared jeans, you will instantly feel like you’re making a statement and rewriting the definition of mom jeans in the best way possible. Bottom line: In a world full of skinny jeans my friends, be a pair of bell bottoms.
- Bell Bottom Jeans flaunt those curves! Though I’ve learned to style skinny jeans that work for me, my body type can easily look like a box if I’m not careful how I pair them. Bell bottoms on the other hand, hug the hips and thighs and flare out give your body more shape and accentuate the curves we should all be proudly flaunting, my friend!
- There are so many styles to play with! Not to dog on skinnies again, but even with the “wild and crazy” addition of cropped skinnies, they’re basically a one trick pony– the leggings of the denim world (and you guys, I mean who doesn’t love leggings, I get it)– but flared jeans can be big and flashy or subtle, they can hug your hips or be high waisted…. the possibilities are endless.
- Easy To Rock Simplicity And Not Feel Frumpy. Because these wide jeans are a statement in their own right, you can wear them with just a basic white tee and still look like you put in extra effort. Minimal effort outfits, FTW!
Easy Ways To Style Flared and Bell Bottom Jeans
- Flow-y boho shirts (the key here is the cut up top. If you’re broad shouldered like I am, make sure the cut isn’t too boxy!)
- Big dramatic sunnies (love these big oversized square sunglasses!)
- Your favorite vintage concert T-shirt
- Utility jacket for a laid back vibe
- Moto Jacket for an edgier vibe
- Lace trimmed cami for a night out
- Tucked in crisp button up shirt for a fun business casual look